Sometimes parents stay in abusive relationships “for the children.” However, children can be traumatized by being exposed to abuse. Planning for your children’s safety with them will help you make the necessary choices to live a life free of abuse. Consider the following in planning for your children’s safety:
- Tell children that they are only responsible for keeping themselves safe, not for protecting you during a violent incident.
- Role-play with children what to do in the event that something scary happens.
- Practise a signal and escape plan with children.
- Talk with children about what to do if the abuser shows up.
- Make sure that children know how to use the phone and dial 911.